play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

Listeners:

Top listeners:

skip_previous skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
volume_up
  • cover play_arrow

Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Kills More Than 100

Background

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent

BANGUI, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC (Worthy News) – The death toll from the collapse of an artisanal gold mine in western Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, with others still missing or trapped beneath rubble, underscoring broader concerns about safety risks faced by miners across the region, rescue workers and local officials said.

The low-tech Zamboye gold-mining site collapsed Tuesday, August 18, near the border with Cameroon, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) from the town of Baboua.

Officials warned the death toll could rise further as rescuers continued searching for people still missing or buried beneath the rubble.

Besides those killed, several survivors were critically injured, said Gervais Ganagoroh, a local Red Cross volunteer involved in relief efforts.

HOPES FOR SURVIVORS FADING

Florian Gaguende, one of the miners who survived the disaster, said rescuers were searching for colleagues believed trapped beneath the collapsed site, but warned that the chance of finding them alive “is getting slimmer.”

Another miner, Cedric Mbango, said “the ground completely collapsed and buried people,” describing the disaster as “catastrophic.”

“Finding them alive would be a miracle,” added Bertrand Be Yangué, a member of the Zamboye youth council. “We are saddened and heartbroken to see young men and women perish after coming to the mines to save their families from despair.”

Footage from the scene showed miners, many of them young men and women covered in mud, pulling a body from the pit as dozens of people gathered across the sprawling mining site, some shouting for help.

INVESTIGATION INTO MINE COLLAPSE

Amid the suffering, authorities opened an investigation to determine the cause of the disaster, identify the victims and those responsible for operating the site, and establish whether there was criminal liability.

The Baboua public prosecutor said preliminary information suggested that several underground tunnels in which miners were working had collapsed, triggering the disaster.

Artisanal mine collapses occur regularly in the Central African Republic, where thousands of people depend on small-scale extraction for their livelihoods despite often working with little protective equipment or adequate safety measures.

The Zamboye disaster highlighted the economic desperation driving young people into dangerous mining operations in one of the world’s poorest nations, which has struggled for years with armed conflict, political instability and weak state institutions.

ILLICIT GOLD MINING CONCERNS

The area has also faced security concerns surrounding illicit mining.

A United Nations panel reported earlier that the armed group Return, Reclamation, Rehabilitation, known as 3R, had been involved in illicit mining and trafficking operations in the Zamboye area of Baboua sub-prefecture near Cameroon.

Authorities and rescue workers said efforts were continuing to recover those still buried.

Yet, hopes of finding more survivors were fading as families awaited news of missing relatives.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Israel Draws Red Line Over Turkish Military Presence in Syria
Israel Draws Red Line Over Turkish Military Presence in Syria
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Israel has warned Syria not to allow Turkey to establish a deeper military foothold inside the country, escalating a growing diplomatic confrontation between Jerusalem and Ankara after an Israeli strike on the Abu al-Duhur military air base in northern Syria.

USS George Washington Arrives in Middle East to Relieve Long-Deployed USS Abraham Lincoln
USS George Washington Arrives in Middle East to Relieve Long-Deployed USS Abraham Lincoln
Thursday, August 20, 2026

The USS George Washington aircraft carrier is now operating in the Middle East, U.S. Central Command said Thursday, marking a major carrier rotation as the USS Abraham Lincoln prepares to end one of the Navy’s most punishing recent deployments.

Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Kills More Than 100
Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Kills More Than 100
Thursday, August 20, 2026

The death toll from the collapse of an artisanal gold mine in western Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, with others still missing or trapped beneath rubble, underscoring broader concerns about safety risks faced by miners across the region, rescue workers and local officials said.

Russia, Ukraine Escalate Deadly Drone and Missile War; Romania Raises Alarm (Worthy News Radio)
Russia, Ukraine Escalate Deadly Drone and Missile War; Romania Raises Alarm (Worthy News Radio)
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Ukrainian authorities said Thursday at least 16 people were killed and about 40 injured in massive overnight Russian drone and missile strikes on Kyiv and the wider region, while neighboring countries were placed on high alert amid reports of drones entering or approaching their territory.

Hungary’s Magyar Moves Rapidly To Dismantle Orbán-Era System Amid Concerns (Worthy News Radio)
Hungary’s Magyar Moves Rapidly To Dismantle Orbán-Era System Amid Concerns (Worthy News Radio)
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Hungarian Prime Minister Péter Magyar is accelerating efforts to dismantle the political and economic system built during Viktor Orbán’s 16 years in power, targeting alleged corruption and cronyism while facing warnings that restoring the rule of law should not lead to another concentration of power.

Pakistan Christians Concerned As Court Details Acquittals In Couple’s Burning Deaths
Pakistan Christians Concerned As Court Details Acquittals In Couple’s Burning Deaths
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Pakistani Christians have expressed concern after Pakistan’s Supreme Court released details of its decision to acquit the last three men sentenced to death over the 2014 mob killing of a Christian couple who were beaten and burned alive in a brick kiln following blasphemy allegations.

Netanyahu Warns Turkey After Israeli Strike on Syrian Airbase: ‘Don’t’
Netanyahu Warns Turkey After Israeli Strike on Syrian Airbase: ‘Don’t’
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a blunt warning to Turkey on Wednesday after Israel struck a Syrian military airbase that Jerusalem says Ankara was preparing to use for an expanded military presence in Syria.

WHO WE ARE

The Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs encapsulate the beauty, wisdom, and eternal truths found in the Bible, creating an immersive experience that resonates with believers and seekers alike.

CONTACT