play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

Listeners:

Top listeners:

skip_previous skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
volume_up
  • cover play_arrow

US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation

Background

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent

ABUJA (Worthy News) – Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.

The militant, identified as Abu Bakr al-Mainuki, was described by U.S. President Donald J. Trump as the “second in command globally” within Islamic State, also known as ISIS, though analysts cautioned his exact position in the group’s hierarchy could not be independently verified.

Nigerian President Bola Tinubu called the strike a “daring joint operation” that dealt a “heavy blow” to Islamic State militants operating in West Africa.

According to Nigerian and U.S. officials, al-Mainuki and several of his lieutenants were killed during a coordinated overnight assault on a fortified compound in the Lake Chad Basin region near Metele in Nigeria’s northeastern Borno State.

The Lake Chad Basin is a vast region of waterways, marshes, and difficult terrain shared by Nigeria, Chad, Niger, and Cameroon that has long served as a stronghold for Islamist insurgents.

JOINT U.S.-NIGERIA OPERATION

Trump announced the operation in a late-night social media statement, saying the militant leader “thought he could hide in Africa.”

“He was the number two for ISIS globally,” Trump wrote. “We had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing.”

Nigeria’s military described the mission as a “highly complex precision air-land operation” carried out during several hours of darkness without casualties among government forces.

Military spokesman Sani Uba said the killing represented “the single most consequential counterterrorism outcome” in the region since multinational operations against Islamist groups began in 2015.

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth also described al-Mainuki as a senior Islamic State figure responsible for overseeing attacks, hostage-taking operations, and financial activities linked to ISIS affiliates.

CHRISTIAN GENOCIDE CLAIMS

The operation came months after Trump accused Nigeria’s government of allowing what he called a “Christian genocide” and designated the country a “Country of Particular Concern.”

Trump has repeatedly alleged that Christians in Nigeria are being targeted by Islamist militants, accusations Nigeria’s government has denied.

Critics of Trump’s position say Nigeria’s violence also affects many Muslims, including in the north, where insurgent attacks, kidnappings, and banditry have killed thousands of people.

Earlier, on Christmas Day last year, the United States launched strikes against Islamic State-linked targets in northwestern Nigeria.

Trump said at the time that ISIS militants had been “viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians at levels not seen for many years, and even centuries.”

“I have previously warned these terrorists that if they did not stop the slaughtering of Christians, there would be hell to pay,” Trump added. “And tonight, there was.”

The strikes reportedly involved more than a dozen Tomahawk cruise missiles fired from a U.S. Navy ship in the Gulf of Guinea against ISIS camps in Sokoto State in coordination with Nigerian forces.

CHRISTIANS UNDER PRESSURE

Nigeria ranks seventh on the annual World Watch List compiled by advocacy group Open Doors, which monitors persecution against Christians worldwide.

Open Doors reported that 3,490 Christians were killed in Nigeria between October 2024 and September 2025, adding that more Christians are killed for their faith in Nigeria than in the rest of the world combined.

“In Nigeria, Christians suffer significant and severe persecution,” Open Doors said in a recent assessment. “Nigeria has been the most violent place in the world for followers of Jesus for several years.”

The group also noted that several northern Nigerian states operate under Islamic law, known as Sharia, creating what it described as discrimination against Christians and converts from Islam.

Islamic State’s influence has shifted heavily toward sub-Saharan Africa in recent years after the collapse of its self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria.

ISLAMIST INSURGENCY EXPANDS

Analysts say roughly 90 percent of ISIS attacks worldwide now occur in sub-Saharan Africa, with Nigeria-based militants among the group’s most active branches.

Al-Mainuki was reportedly a leading figure in Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), which split from the Boko Haram extremist movement in 2016.

Security analyst Malik Samuel of Good Governance Africa said the reported killing could significantly weaken the group.

“If confirmed, this is huge,” Samuel said. “This is the first time a security agency has killed someone this high in the ranking of ISWAP.”

The operation reflected a growing military partnership between Washington and Abuja.

GROWING SECURITY PARTNERSHIP

The United States deployed military advisers and drones to Nigeria earlier this year as part of expanded intelligence-sharing and counterterrorism cooperation.

Nigeria has struggled for years with armed Islamist groups, banditry, kidnappings, and communal violence that have destabilized large parts of the country, particularly in the north.

Despite disagreements over the causes of the violence, both the Nigerian and U.S. governments say they are determined to intensify efforts against Islamic State-linked militants operating across West Africa.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Sunday, May 17, 2026

After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.

U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.

Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Sunday, May 17, 2026

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.

Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.

US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.

Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.

Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.

WHO WE ARE

The Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs encapsulate the beauty, wisdom, and eternal truths found in the Bible, creating an immersive experience that resonates with believers and seekers alike.

CONTACT